Friday, December 17, 2010

toes

my friend was telling me about toes today. the sunlight was deceptively cold and biting, shining at angles to cut through my bloodshot computer glazed eyes. we were walking. my whole body was tight and jerky and shivering. my teeth have been chattering at a moments notice.

those details are all besides the point of course. just this body is the container that separates self from the hive mind. all of my perspectives are colored by the fact that i'm peering out of my height, my lasered eyes. all of my verbal communication comes out of my crooked teeth, tinner and more nasal than the resonance in my sinus cavities would have me believe.

i guess the point is that every drip or drop of information is colored, tainted, understood only in an individual and subjective experience. the individual experience is the universal. it's something that has been put in more succinct ways before by other people.

the thing about toes is that we were supposed to be barefoot. our little stubbies were supposed to wiggle and grasp and feel the uneven ground. we're putting them in sensory deprivation, on flat manicured surfaces swaddled in socks and packaged in tennies.

this information is third hand. his dad told him about his experiment. the dad's experiment was to run in the park for a couple years totally barefoot. and his dad claimed that overtime his feet and legs picked up more sensitivity.

i think this is very beautiful. but i also think i'm going to keep my shoes on.

1 comment:

Claire Bagley Hayes said...

Become a modern dancer and never where shoes again. I can't abide hiding them away sometimes.